NMSP Searching for Suspect in Deadly Socorro Shooting

DEMING — The New Mexico State Police are searching for a suspect in a deadly shooting in Socorro that left a 22‑year‑old man dead and sparked a statewide manhunt.

Authorities said Socorro police responded around 9:38 p.m. Nov. 19 to reports of gunfire in a parking lot near College Avenue and Leroy Place. Officers found Quentin Sisneros lying outside a black Chrysler sedan with multiple gunshot wounds. He was taken to Socorro General Hospital, where he later died.

Investigators said the suspect, 21‑year‑old Anthony Alvarado, had confronted a juvenile in the parking lot with an AR‑15‑style rifle. The juvenile is related to a man who had previously been romantically involved with Alvarado’s girlfriend. As Alvarado pointed the weapon at the youth, Sisneros drove into the lot. Believing the sedan belonged to the man connected to his girlfriend, Alvarado opened fire at close range, striking Sisneros.

State police said Sisneros was not involved in the earlier dispute, suggesting the killing may have been a case of mistaken identity. Alvarado fled on foot after the shooting. Witnesses later returned to provide statements.

A warrant has been issued for Alvarado on charges including first‑degree murder, aggravated assault, two counts of child abuse, and multiple counts of shooting at or from a motor vehicle. He is considered armed and dangerous.

Authorities urge anyone with information on Alvarado’s whereabouts to call the New Mexico State Police at 505‑841‑9256 or dial 911 if he is spotted.